Shannon M. Abikhaled, MD
“I enjoy providing prenatal care and delivering healthy babies. In addition, I have a special interest in the diagnosis and treatment of cervical dysplasia. It is important to me that my patients understand their disease process and the treatment options available to them; as well as having ample time for questions and concerns.”
Dr. Abikhaled is a graduate of Trinity University at San Antonio and received her medical degree from the University of Texas Medical School at Houston. She completed her residency in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. She has been in private practice in Austin since 1997. Dr. Abikhaled has been listed as a Texas Super Doctor (recognizing the top 5% of Texas physicians), as noted in Texas Monthly Magazine. She is a member of the American Medical Association and Christian Medical and Dental Society. Dr. Abikhaled is married to Dr. John Abikhaled and they have 3 children.
Dr. Abikhaled works closely with Physician Assistant Ashley Rowan.
Licensed to practice medicine in Texas
Board Certified, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Seton Medical Center, Austin, Texas
- Bailey Square Surgical Center, Austin, Texas
- Arise Medical Center, Austin, Texas
- Baylor University, Waco, Texas – Undergraduate Studies
- Trinity University at San Antonio, Texas – BA, Biology, 1988
- University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston School of Medicine – Doctor of Medicine, 1992
- University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology – Residency July 1992-June 1996
Professional Work History
- UT-Houston Medical School, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences – Assistant Professor
- University of Texas, Health Science Center at San Antonio, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology – Health Services 1998-2013
- Private Practice, Austin Texas, 1997-present
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Christian Medical and Dental Society
- Travis County Medical Association
Awards and Honors
Repeatedly recognized by her patients and peers:
- Receiving the Patients’ Choice Award in both 2008 and 2009 (recognizing less than 6% of the nation’s active physicians), as tabulated by MDx Medical Inc. and Vitals.com;
- Being voted a Texas Super Doctor (identifies top Texas physicians as chosen by their peers), as noted in Texas Monthly Magazine, 2007-Present.
I love my doctor!
I love my doctor! I love that she is graciously straight forward in answering my questions. I have full confidence in her and everything she tells me.
I cannot say enough positive things about Dr. Abikhaled.
I cannot say enough positive things about Dr. Abikhaled. Her care and attentiveness are unlike anything I have experienced with any other doctor of any discipline.
She puts you at ease.
I’ve been going to Dr Abikhaled for 6 years and she is wonderful. She’s thorough and follows up on your questions and answers. Very smart and sweet. She puts you at ease.
-An OB/GYN of Austin patient